9.25.2010

Herb and Spice Jars


Just completed the glaze firing of the first batch of herb and spice jars I will be selling now. Still want to try some other glaze schemes but for now they are available in two tones of blue. It occurred to me, when making these pieces, that they ought to be made in sets according to specific cooking dishes or ethnic foods. So far I have Italian, Indian, and Alternative sets. These pieces will also be available individually. Parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, tumeric, coriander, cumin, red chili, paprika, dill, sea salt and more are available. Of course, I will always take special requests.

9.19.2010

Kiln Repairs

A couple months back I realized that the elements in my kiln were probably going bad as a cone six glaze firing was sluggishly taking 15 plus hours. It was inevitable that the wear and tear of firing this kiln as THE workhorse for glazed pots had taken its toll... inevitable that the elements would need replaced... I bought the kiln, a Jen-Kin D118 from 1960 something along with a smaller Skutt kiln for $400 including shelves and stilts and wired them up, running, and firing the D118 without any repairs. Not knowing the previous history of the kiln's workload and repairs, it was all bonus time. For the switches to be good, wiring intact, brick in decent shape and the elements worthy of 2186 degrees F, I was in luck. So I got many firings out of her from cone 018 decal, 08 bisque, to 6 glaze. I began investigating what would need to be done to get the kiln to fire to a reasonable time on high for a glaze load. I noticed the elements were dull and figured they were just shot but also considered the switches being bad. After the last firing was a struggle I turned on the kiln empty to watch the elements glow. Two were not warming up at all. That explained why some decal firings towards the bottom of the kiln were experiencing cool spots. The next to the last two elements had had enough. I called up Jen-kin and Mike helped me troubleshoot. I purchased two elements and replaced the fried pair. Pulling apart the kiln controls was nerve-racking because I didn't know exactly what I was looking at. I messed up the kiln sitter taking it all apart. Please don't ever do that, please promise me you won't. it is a mistake. Luckily I got it all back together, but when fired again, the glaze was 14 or 15 hours. So I knew the kiln had to be out of commission for a while until I replaced the six remaining elements.
I installed them painstakingly, bending down into the kiln lower and lower. Initially I was going to fire a bisque just to make sure I could get it hot but then I thought man why waste time doing that. Let's not be conservative, let's load her up and fire to cone six. The kiln fired in about 6 hours as I predicted. So when I unloaded what was the most exciting firing since I first got things running here. The results were great and the kiln is up and running again. Without this puppy I wouldn't be able to produce the volume of work I make to sell. Good to be up and running again.

9.01.2010

Created First Etsy Treasury UPDATE

A few different ideas have crossed my mind for putting together an etsy treasury and last night I sat down and finally made one, which was a random new idea; something about reading, writing or books....
My previous idea is still a hot one in my mind and will be difficult to put together, well I guess it will be time consuming to find all the right items. Not gonna give too much away but it involves a little sexy and a little scary.


Here are my treasuries I have been in so far or have made... new one added today, first in a series called I believe. The first volume in the series is Bigfoot.
http://www.etsy.com/treasury/search/pickledaliens

Ugrus

Ugrus

Dermie

old dude wine stoppers

Grover

monster shooters

Monster Shaving Kit